Britney Spears has said she will not perform again while her father retains control over her career as part of a conservatorship set up in 2008.
The singer’s message is the latest in a series of emotional public comments about the arrangement that controls her personal and financial affairs.
“This conservatorship killed my dreams,” she said in a lengthy post on Instagram. “So all I have is hope”.
Britney wants to bring an end to the arrangement, calling it abusive.
The conservatorship was put in place after her father, Jamie Spears, petitioned a court for legal authority over the pop star’s life, amid concerns about her mental health.
“I’m not gonna be performing on any stages anytime soon with my dad handling what I wear, say, do, or think,” Britney, who has not performed in public since late 2018, wrote in the post.
“I’d much rather share videos YES from my living room instead of onstage in Vegas… I’m not gonna put on heavy makeup and try try try on stage again and not be able to do the real deal with remixes of my songs for years.”
In the message, Britney also said she “did not like the way” documentaries about her life bring up “humiliating moments from the past”, adding: “I’m way past all that and have been for a long time.”
The documentaries – including Framing Britney Spears, which has been nominated for two Emmy awards – together with the #FreeBritney movement brought wider attention to the conservatorship, and public support for the singer.
In explosive court testimony last month, Britney said she had been drugged, forced to perform against her will and prevented from having more children under the conservatorship.
On Wednesday, she appointed a new lawyer to represent her in the legal bid to bring the arrangement to an end. They are yet to file a formal request, and the next court hearing will be on 29 September in Los Angeles.
Britney also said she wanted to charge Mr Spears for his alleged “conservatorship abuse”, which can involve financially exploiting or imposing excessive personal restrictions on someone in your care.
He is currently the sole person in charge of his daughter’s $60m (£43m) estate. His lawyers say he has not been in charge of her personal affairs since September 2019 because of his own poor health.
China releases detained Canadians Kovrig, Spavor after extradition against Meng Wanzhou dropped
Quebec swiftly passes new bill to prohibit anti-vaccine protests near schools, hospitals
‘People will suffer and will die’: Emergency doctor says some health triage has begun in Alberta
Britain’s Prince Andrew accepts he has been served in US sex case
Canadian extradition judge frees China’s Huawei exec Meng Wenzhou
- Europe6 days ago
Volcano erupts on Spain’s Atlantic island of La Palma; lava theatens homes
- Other1 week ago
Ozone hole over Antarctica larger than usual, scientists say
- U.S1 week ago
Florida surpasses 50K COVID deaths after battling Delta wave
- Asia1 week ago
Idled taxis in Thailand go green with mini-gardens on car roofs
- Australia & NZ1 week ago
Melbourne police use capsicum spray on Australian lockdown protesters
- Lifestyle1 week ago
Hawaii’s famed ‘Stairway to Heaven’ may be removed in 2022
- Entertainment1 week ago
Elton John postpones tour for two years, in ‘considerable pain’ after a fall
- Other1 week ago
Threat of Catastrophic Supervolcano Eruptions